In Winter 2014, UAW members at a monthly membership meeting proposed the formation of Union work groups to develop ways of making positive change in areas that commonly affect Academic Student Employees.
All members are invited and strongly encouraged to participate in these groups to facilitate greater member participation and drive the bargaining process. Existing work groups include:
- Discrimination and Microaggressions (Elizabeth Scarbrough)
- Class Size and Academic Quality (Bob Hodges)
- Compensation (Patricia Gauthier)
- Political Action (Eddie Schwieterman)
- Health Insurance (Toni Ferro)
- Environmental Health and Safety (Peter Johnston)
- Peter is the UAW 4121 representative on the university wide Health and Safety Committee, if you are interested in learning more, please contact Peter.
- Communications/PR (Matt Bellinger)
- Mobilization (Alli Germain)
For work group meeting dates and times please consult the UAW 4121 events calendar.
Any member may propose different work groups, as well. For instance we welcome the news that there is a group developing to address union democracy and rank-and-file participation. We’ve heard interest from other members in developing a work group to address wage theft. All ideas are welcome!