The 2017-2018 Academic Year is an exciting one as we will be bargaining a new contract with the UW! This new agreement will govern a wide range of our working conditions and our relationship with the University: Our pay and stipends, benefits, rights, anti-discrimination and-harassment provisions, appointment security, funding for science, international and undocumented students’ rights, and more. Throughout all stages of our contract campaign, deep majority participation will be critical to our ability to make wins that impact members across campus.
In Fall Quarter, over 2200 members participated in the bargaining survey to make their priorities known. Our initial bargaining demands have been developed based on the bargaining survey results and thousands of conversations with members over the past year: in orientations, during Travel Ban Bargaining, in membership meetings, in one-to-one conversations, and more.
In January and early February, over 2500 ASEs signed on to the initial bargaining demands. We delivered these demands to University Admin during our first bargaining session on February 8 and started negotiations off strong!
There are a number of ways you can help strengthen your union and build our collective power for the contract campaign. Please consider participating in one or more ways:
- Join a workgroup to help shape contract proposals on specific topics: You can sign up to join a work group here. A group will be meeting on Monday 2/12 at 5pm in PAB C520 to prepare for the Thursday 2/15 bargaining session on sexual harassment and union orientations.
- Organize in your department: The most effective way for members to get engaged is through conversations with other folks in their departments. If you would like more information about what you can do to organize in your department, email email@example.com.
- Increase the percentage of ASEs who are members of the union: More members means more power to bargain a better contract, and only members are able to participate in bargaining sessions and vote on final contract language. You can help sign ASEs up as members – email firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like copies of membership cards or more information about ASEs in your department who haven’t signed up yet. If you are not yet a member, sign up today!
- Bargaining FAQ
- Bargaining Notes (linked) and Schedule:
- February 8, 1:30-4:30pm, Roosevelt Commons West 271
- February 15, 9am-5pm, Roosevelt Commons West 271, to discuss sexual harassment and union orientations
- March 1, 9am-5pm, Roosevelt Commons West 271
- March 9
- March 15
- April 4
- April 5
- April 11
- April 12
- April 16
- April 17
- April 23
- April 24
- April 25
- April 26
- April 27
- April 30
This page will be regularly updated with scheduled bargaining sessions, notes from bargaining, resources, and additional opportunities for getting involved. For more information, you can contact your steward or email email@example.com.