Who We Are
The UAW Local 4121 Climate Justice Work Group was formed to support and help carry out the work of the Martin Luther King County Labor Council Climate Caucus, and to serve as a place for UAW 4121 members to discuss plans related to climate justice on UW campus. We are a diverse group of researchers including climate scientists, social scientists, engineers, policy analysts, and artists who work together to facilitate meaningful conversations within our labor community about climate change.
What We Do
Our work group also helps run the MLKCLC Climate Caucus Speakers Bureau, in which UAW 4121 members connect with members of labor unions from other sectors of the economy to discuss the intersections of climate science and worker’s rights. Labor Organizations who have hosted UAW 4121 members so far include International Association of Machinists, Postal Workers of America, International Union of Painters and Allied Trades, and the Martin Luther King County Labor Council. Plans are in place for additional discussions in the coming months.
The Mission Statement of the King County Workers’ Climate Caucus is:
- Workers and Communities of Color stand to gain the most by organizing for climate justice.
- Create an open, worker-centric dialogue on climate justice without judgement.
- Empowering workers and COC to advocate for their interests in the context of a just transition.
- Respecting the many reasons workers come here, not all identify as environmentalists.
- King County centric.
The Strategic Plan for the King County Workers’ Climate Caucus is;
- Draw from our ranks to educate and organize each other through a speaker’s bureau of unionized climate educators.
- Play a Climate Justice advisory role to the MLKCLC on policy decisions.
- Support Local Unions for internal organizing and engage with community partners in community organizing.
- Advocating to other organizations in King County on issues with a joint benefit for workers and climate justice.
- Advise unions on contract language that supports workers who are harmed by climate change.
Climate Caucus Newsletter
The Climate Caucus produces a newsletter in collaboration with members of UAW 1981 (The Writers Union) and other partners.
The UAW 4121 Climate Justice work group meets regularly and is always glad to welcome new members. Contact us at email@example.com.
The MLKCLC Climate Caucus typically meets on the first Tuesday of each month at 5:00 p.m. at the Seattle Labor Temple (2800 1st Ave #140, Seattle, WA 98121).
UAW 4121 members at the People’s Climate March, October 2015.