Who We Are
Our Housing Justice Work Group is focused on issues of housing affordability, homelessness, rent control, LGBTQ/youth homelessness, and more. In the 2017-2018 academic year, we will be launching a housing affordability campaign, beginning with a membership-wide survey in late September. Please check back soon for more details!
Add your voice — take our Housing Affordability Survey today! You can also find out more about our current housing affordability campaign here:
- UAW 4121 Housing Affordability Campaign
- Housing Affordability Survey — Your Participation Needed
- Op-ed in Seattle Times demanding increased action by UW to combat the affordability crisis
Upcoming events in the Seattle area:
- November 4: LGBTQ Allyship’s Intergenerational Housing Justice Conference
- November 1: Stop the Sweeps Public Hearing & All-Night Campout
Victory! Important Move-In Fees legislation that our Working Group has been actively fighting for has passed in Seattle city and goes into effect January 2017. This legislation does a few key things to lower the burden of up-front moving costs:
- It requires landlords to accept payment plans for upfront moving costs — including security deposit, last month’s rent, and non-refundable fees.
- Payment plans are based on the length of the lease. For leases six months or longer, tenants can pay these costs in up to six equal monthly installments.
- The total cost of security deposit and any non-refundable fees cannot exceed one month’s rent
- Pet deposits cannot be more than 25% of one month’s rent
Resources & Information
We’re always open to new members! If you’d like to get more involved, or would just like more information, please email us at email@example.com. Check out the UAW 4121 Calendar for updated information about our next meeting time and location!