|Dear UAW Member,
Nominations for vacant Steward positions in UAW 4121 are open October 17th and will close on October 27th at 5:00 p.m. PDT. This is an opportunity to take a leadership position in your department.
All members who are in good standing are automatically nominated for open positions in their department. This means that you do not have to be nominated by someone else–to run for the position, you simply have to accept your automatic nomination! Please reply to us at email@example.com to accept nomination for one position only.
The timeline for the elections is as follows:
- Nomination Period: Thursday, 10/17 – Sunday 10/27 (October 27th at 5:00 p.m. PDT is the deadline to submit optional candidate statements and photos)
- Candidate Statements Posted: Monday 7/28 (for contested positions)
- Voting: Tuesday 11/12 – Wednesday 11/13 (for contested positions)
- Runoff (If needed): Tuesday, 11/19 – Wednesday 11/20
(all nomination and voting/runoff periods close at 5:00 PM PDT)
Questions? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Stewards are responsible for serving as organizers and points of contact for their department. They help encourage people to join the Union, spread information about upcoming events, direct department members to Union resources, and help organize the ASEs in the department for collective actions that protect and expand our workplace rights. With the guidance of the contract enforcement committee, they can also represent and support colleagues through the grievance procedure if issues arise. Stewards receive training and support for both of these roles, so there’s no prior experience needed.
If you have questions about the position, please feel free to contact us at email@example.com, and we can help put you in contact with a current steward to chat with. The terms of all Stewards will last until September 2020.
Open Steward Positions for ASEs
- Aeronautics and Astronautics (1)
- American Ethnic Studies (1)
- American Indian Studies (1)
- Applied Mathematics (1)
- Applied Physics Laboratory (1)
- Art (1)
- Art History (1)
- Bioengineering (2)
- Biological Structure (1)
- Biomedical Informatics and Medical Education (1)
- Biology (1)
- Biostatistics (1)
- Bothell (3)
- Business (3)
- Center for Experimental and Nuclear Physics (CENPA) (1)
- Center for Learning and Undergraduate Enrichment (2)
- Civil and Environmental Engineering (2)
- CLUE (2)
- Comparative Literature, Cinema and Media (1)
- College of Education (3)
- College of Built Environments (1)
- Communication (1)
- Computer Science and Engineering (5)
- Dance Program (1)
- Dentistry (1)
- DXARTS (1)
- Earth and Space Sciences (2)
- Economics (1)
- Electrical Engineering (4)
- English (2)
- EO – English Language Programs (1)
- Environmental and Occupational Health Sciences (1)
- Epidemiology (1)
- Evans School of Public Policy and Governance (1)
- Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center (1)
- Forestry (2)
- French and Italian Studies (1)
- Gender, Women & Sexuality Studies (1)
- Genome Sciences (2)
- Geography (1)
- Germanics (1)
- Global Health (2)
- GO-MAP (1)
- Harborview Medical Center (1)
- Health Services (1)
- History (1)
- Human Centered Design and Engineering (1)
- IHME (1)
- Immunology (1)
- Industrial Engineering (1)
- Information School (1)
- Law School (1)
- Marine and Environmental Affairs (1)
- Materials Science and Engineering (2)
- Mechanical Engineering (3)
- Medicinal Chemistry (1)
- OWRC (1)
- Near and Middle Eastern Studies (1)
- Near Eastern Languages (1)
- Nursing (1)
- Nutritional Sciences (1)
- Pharmaceutics (1)
- Pharmacy (1)
- Political Science (1)
- Psychology (2)
- Rehab Medicine (1)
- Romance Languages (1)
- Scandinavian Studies (1)
- Slavic Languages and Literatures (1)
- Social Work (1)
- Sociology (1)
- Speech and Hearing Sciences (1)
- Statistics (2)
- Student-Athlete Academic Services (1)
- Tacoma (1)
- Washington Nanofabrication Facility (1)
To accept nomination for one of the above positions, you must send your acceptance in an email to the Election Committee at firstname.lastname@example.org, or by mail to Elections Committee c/o UAW Local 4121, 2633 Eastlake Ave E, Suite 200, Seattle, WA 98102.
Acceptance must be received by mail or email no later than October 27th at 5:00pm PDT. The written statement of acceptance should state how the nominee wishes their name to appear on the ballot and the region in which they are accepting the nomination, if applicable.
Candidate Statements and Campaign Rules
Members accepting nomination may also submit a candidate statement (up to 500 words) to the Election Committee that must be received by the nomination deadline of October 27th at 5:00 pm PDT. Candidates may also submit a photo, which must have a square aspect ratio and be at least 200×200 pixels in resolution. In the case of contested positions, statements will be posted on the Local Union website no later than October 28th.
Candidates and those campaigning for them are responsible for familiarizing themselves with the rules governing elections and campaigns as laid out in the UAW 4121 Bylaws and the Constitution of the UAW International.
If only one candidate accepts nomination for a position, that position will be uncontested and will be automatically filled. For contested positions, a candidate must receive a majority of votes to win.
If no candidate receives a majority of the votes for a position, a runoff election will be held on November 19-20th. Voting will take place online.
Online voting by secret ballot will take place from November 12th to the 13th. Instructions for online voting will be emailed to all members before the voting and will be posted on www.uaw4121.org/elections.
If you have graduated or left the University of Washington and are receiving this email in error, please email us at email@example.com.
UAW Local 4121 Election Committee 2019-2020