Using Zoom for Spring 2020 Membership Meetings
There are two ways you can join the Zoom meeting: either by using the app/web browser for voice and video, or by calling in for voice only. To access the link and/or call-in number, please fill out the RSVP form:
Equity and Anti-Harassment Commitments
We are committed to ensuring that membership meetings, including those conducted via Zoom, are structured to provide equitable, participatory, democratic access to all members who wish to join. To maintain this commitment, we have consulted with other organizing groups who have run large participatory meetings using Zoom, and will be adopting their best practices. In addition, we are aware of the recent uptick of harassment in Zoom meetings, including at UW, often by outside users abusing features like screenshare, group and private chat, and annotation. We are monitoring these issues closely and are taking precautions to prevent these kinds of abuses, and have developed strategies for quickly managing any issues if they were to arise during the meeting.
General Process for Membership Meetings on Zoom
At the April 9, 2020 Membership Meeting, members approved the following general process for Zoom membership meetings:
- Presenters for each section will share on what they’ve prepared to discuss, then there will be time for open discussion. To participate in discussion, you can join the “stack” by:
- If you’re joining via the Zoom app or a web browser: “raise your hand” or send a direct chat to one of the facilitators, and you’ll be added to the stack. To raise your hand, select “participants” at the bottom center and then in the bottom right corner select “raise hand.” A small blue hand icon should appear next to your name in the participants list.
- If you’re joining via the voice-only phone-in: “raise your hand” by pressing *9 and you’ll be added to the stack.
- Meetings will have a “waiting room.” When you join the meeting, you’ll be entered into a virtual meeting room, and a facilitator will admit you into the Zoom meeting space from there.
- Participating in votes: Votes on any motions made will be done using Zoom’s polling feature.
- To prevent the chat from becoming inadvertently really distracting, use it only for making motions or sharing documents actively being discussed.
- Everyone will stay on mute unless they’re actively talking.
If you have any questions or concerns, please don’t hesitate to reach out to email@example.com.