Taking action for racial justice
In conjunction with our union’s initial call for expanded use of our collective bargaining power to refuse to enforce in racist, classist, policies and practices regarding policing, members are developing specific demands aimed at building long-lasting work to defund police and instead invest in community-based safety and wellness, both on campus and in the broader community. To get involved with this and much more, email firstname.lastname@example.org!
Since late May, 4121 members have been joining thousands of others in Seattle and around the world to take action against racist and anti-Black policing — joining thousands on the streets of Seattle, hundreds in Tacoma in memory of Manuel Ellis (a Black Tacoma man who was murdered by police in early March), and more.
This powerful and ongoing action of thousands is beginning to make an impact in the Puget Sound. For instance, after incredible community pressure and action, the Seattle City Attorney rescinded the consent decree motion, AND the Seattle Mayor Jenny Durkan cancelled the previously-imposed curfew. This movement is the direct result of all of our community’s action — but there’s much more to be done, so it’s critical we keep up the momentum.
- Read UAW 4121’s statement on the murder of George Floyd.
- Get involved: email email@example.com.
PETITIONS — ADD YOUR NAME TODAY!
- Petition to Decriminalize UW Seattle
- Petition to Decriminalize UW Bothell
- Remove Seattle Police Officers Guild from our labor council
- For BIPOC Union Members: Petition to Remove Seattle Police Officers Guild from MLK Labor Council
- Call for Seattle Mayor Jenny Durkan to Resign
- Petition to Defund the Seattle Police Department
- Cross-Campus Statement Against State Terror and Call for Termination of University-Police Ties
UPCOMING EVENTS & ACTIONS
- June 9: Build the Movement Against Racism & Economic Inequality!
- June 12: Statewide Silent March and General Strike
- June 14: Seattle Union Members Contingent for #JusticeForGeorgeFloyd
- June 15-21: Black Lives Matter Seattle-King County Juneteenth Week 2020
- June 17: Rally to remove SPOG from our labor council & SPOG Out! Rally to Expel SPOG from MLKLC
- June 19: Juneteenth Port Shutdown
- June 19: King County Equity Now Juneteenth Freedom March
Mutual aid — provide or access support
Opportunities to offer financial support
- Northwest Community Bail Fund
- Fund in honor of Manuel Ellis
- Tool for finding black-owned businesses in the area to support
- Trans Women of Color Solidarity Network Fund
- Donate to Uprooted & Rising
- Seattle & King County COVID-19 Survival Fund for the People
- Donate to Tacoma Mutual Aid
Educational resources & organizations:
- Scaffolded Anti-Racist Resources
- Critical Resistance Abolitionist Toolkit
- Coalition of Anti-Racist Whites resource page
This page will be updated regularly with new information and opportunities for taking action!