Who We Are
Our Housing Justice Work Group is focused on issues of housing affordability, homelessness, rent control, LGBTQ/youth homelessness, and more.
Current Work — Get Involved!
- We’re always open to new members. If you’d like to learn more or get involved, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. Some of our ongoing efforts include:
- Running a union-wide housing survey
- Developing toolkits and resources, and otherwise offering support for fellow 4121 members to find housing, assert our rights, and support our communities and neighbors—housed or unhoused.
- Supporting the movement for rent control and affordable housing in Seattle and across the country.
- Supporting tenant organizing, including Tenants Rights Bootcamps in Seattle.
Resources & Information
UAW 4121’s Renters Toolkit
Washington Community Action Network
Tent City 3
Tent City 3 at UW
Washington Tenants Union
- COVID response: Suspend rent, mortgages, and utilities. Sign this petition urging Governor Inslee to suspend rent, mortgage, and utility payments during the crisis.
- COVID response: Tax Amazon, fund relief. Sign this petition urging our city council to fund COVID relief measures for working and ordinary people via a tax on large corporations.
- Develop bargaining survey questions around housing justice for our upcoming 2020/2021 contract campaign.
- During recent election cycle our union actively canvassed for and endorsed progressive and socialist candidates with an eye towards housing justice.
- At a spring 2019 membership meeting we unanimously passed a resolution in support of rent control, following in the steps of the Seattle Education Association.
- We helped win a cap on move-in fees in Seattle.
- Op-ed in Seattle Times demanding increased action by UW to combat the housing affordability crisis.
- UAW 4121 2017 Housing Affordability Campaign.