We spent the day continuing to bargain with UW Admin and we were not able to reach an agreement. RSEs were also not able to reach agreement. Following a participatory mass meeting of nearly 500 of us, and the conclusion of our negotiations with management tonight, both of our units will strike starting tomorrow.
Here are the things we proposed that management would not agree to:
- A wage increase to the minimum salary for Postdocs that would exceed the L&I projection for overtime exempt workers. This means UW intends for Postdocs to become hours tracking employees starting January 1, 2024 and continuing through January 1, 2025 and beyond. Instead UW Admin proposed a 2% increase for Postdocs in 2024 and no additional increases in 2025.
You can see the entirety of our proposals and UW’s proposals here. UW informed us that their final offer expires at 5:00 a.m.
All who signed up for a picket shift should have received an email from their picket captain with their time and location for tomorrow. If you have not received an email, please show up at one of the four picket locations for a shift tomorrow, and for the remaining days this week, please sign up for your picket shifts here.
four picket locations for a shift tomorrow, and for the remaining days this week, please sign up for your picket shifts here.
Other things you should do upon receiving this email:
- Plan to show up for the Strike! Kickoff Rally TOMORROW at noon on Red Square
- Set up an out of office strike message (template) and if you still need to email colleagues, here is an email template
- Contribute to our strike fund which will support PDs & RSEs financially burdened by striking & share with your networks. Encourage folks in your network to donate $41.21 in solidarity! (Our union is UAW 4121.)
Picket logistics for tomorrow
Locations and times
Pickets will run from 5am to 5pm and there are three shifts. Please be sure to check in with your shift coordinator when you arrive (this will ensure you qualify for strike pay).
Pickets will be in the following locations
Items we recommend you bring to your picket shift
- Battery pack (if needed for device)
- Bluetooth speaker
- Feel free to bring entertainment: (musical instruments, lawn games)
Picket lines are open to the whole community. Family, friends are welcome and encouraged to join.
Remote Picket Session
If you are located out of state, you will be able to picket remotely. Remote shifts will run from 9am-1pm. All remote picketers need to sign up for your picket shifts. Information about shift responsibilities will be emailed to you directly.
Wednesday STRIKE KICK OFF Rally at NOON in RED SQUARE!!!
At noon on Wednesday, all picket lines and supporters will converge at Red Square at 12pm for a strike kick off rally. Let’s show UW our united power to win our fair contracts and demand that UW meet us at the bargaining tables.
- TODAY is the LAST DAY for postdocs to become members of their union in order to be eligible for strike pay. If you work with postdocs, please help make sure they are aware. Sign up here.
- RSEs should continue to fill out Authorization Cards in order to be eligible for strike pay. Fill out a card using the form here.
- Strike Assistance Counselors will be available to explain the schedule of benefits, eligibility, and collect the information needed for strike assistance. They will be stationed at Mary Gates Hall room 136 (UW Main campus) from 9:00 a.m. – 7:00 p.m. on Thursday 6/8, and Building F-107 at South Lake Union campus from 8:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m. on Friday 6/9. Applicants will be asked to attend a station at a specific time according to their last name (Picket Captains will have this information). RSEs and Postdocs who want to collect Strike Pay should be prepared to sign up in person, and will need to know their bank account routing information and the specific health insurance plan they are currently on.
- After being signed up, picketers should make sure to sign in at the start of every shift. Your Picket Captain will be able to help you with this.
- Applications for additional financial support through the Hardship fund will open on 6/20.
- If you have any questions about strike support, reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org
If you have questions related to picket line logistics, please email picket-coordinators@uaw4121.
UAW 4121 Postdoc Bargaining Committee