Postdoc Bargaining Center
Postdoc Bargaining At a Glance
Read the entire contract here: https://www.uaw4121.org/wp-content/uploads/2023/06/Postdoc-Tentative-Agreement.pdf
Quick Glossary of terms:
- Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA): the contract that is negotiated and agreed upon by UW and our Postdoc Union
- Article: an individual component of the CBA
- Memorandum of Understanding (MOU): another component of the CBA, similar to Article
- Tentative Agreement (TA): when both bargaining teams are satisfied with a particular article, they reach tentative agreement on the article and agree to stop bargaining on that specific article / MOU. Once we’ve reached tentative agreement on all the Articles/MOUs, the unit will vote to ratify. Note that no Article/MOU will be finalized in the new contract until after we reach tentative agreement on the entire contract and hold a unit-wide ratification vote.
- Ratification: Postdocs will vote to ratify the contract from 6/16 to 6/20. The vote will take place electronically, via email. The contract will go into effect upon ratification.
What we’ve won in our Tentative Agreement:
- Minimum compensation for Scholars and Fellows will increase above the projected salary threshold set by the Washington Minimum Wage Act: $65,508 in 2023 and $68,456 in 2024.
- Minimum increases on January 1st 2024 for Scholars and Fellows.
- 2% across the board increases for those who don’t receive an increase to the minimum.
- New minimums for Paid Direct Postdocs: $53,760 in 2023 and $56,484 for new appointments/reappointments after July 2024.
- Paid Directs may no longer receive supplements from UW sources so must achieve these minimums from non-UW sources.
- Increases may still be provided above rates set in this Article.
- Any Paid Direct Postdocs making less than $65,508 will receive a stipend of $500 / month, which may be used for health care but is ultimately spent at the discretion of the Postdoc. This provision will become effective 90 days after ratification and expires with the contract.
- Overtime MOU that enables Postdocs in certain situations to be able to track hours if needed.
- Upon mutual agreement with their PIs, Postdocs will be able to reduce their FTE below 100%.
- Two year duration (expires 1/31/2025). Enables us to start bargaining before next L&I salary threshold adjustment in September 2024.
- Childcare fund increased to $75,000 (67% increase)
- H-1B visa option for international Postdocs
- UW shall pay visa request and amendment fees for J-1 visa holders
- UW reimburses J-1 SEVIS I-901 fee and the OPT I-765 filing fee.
- Postdocs with disabilities shall have access to reasonable accommodations to do their job, with a clear, interactive process to work with the employer to obtain a reasonable accommodation. Clear accommodations for pregnant Postdocs are also described.
- Expanded leave access (bereavement leave, jury/civil duty, leave for domestic violence and sexual assault, and military leave)
- Improved collaboration with UW on professional development opportunities
- Equity Survey for Postdocs
- Improved reasonable accommodations process for Postdocs with disabilities
- U-PASS benefit continues; Postdocs can request access shower facilities in UW-controlled buildings to support bike commutes
Summaries of each Article in the Tentative Agreement:
- All articles and MOUs not listed: maintain current contract language.
- Read all article TAs here: https://www.uaw4121.org/wp-content/uploads/2023/06/Postdoc-Tentative-Agreement.pdf
|Article Name||Summary of current contract language||What we negotiated for and won in the tentative agreement|
|Article 04: Appointments and Reappointments||Postdocs are full-time appointments; appointment and reappointment term lengths must be at least one year; the University will provide written notice of the Postdoc’s appointment||New language added: “Upon written request of the Postdoc and written concurrence of the supervisor, the University may grant an exception to the full-time appointment expectation.”|
|Article 05: Childcare||University provides a fund to be distributed to assist Postdoc caregivers. This fund was $45,000 in 2021 and $50,000 in 2022||Fund increased to $75,000 per year|
|Article 08: Health and Safety||Health and safety equipment and procedures are provided; job-related furniture and equipment will be provided as reasonable accommodations for Postdocs with a disability||Reasonable accommodations are expanded and moved to New Article: Reasonable Accommodations|
|Article 09: Health Care Benefits Amounts||Coverage under the PEBB health care benefits plan.||
Updates the health care cost-sharing provisions to be consistent with state union coalition agreements.
Employer contribution is an amount equal to 85% of self-insured Uniform Medical Plan Classic. Ensures that new costs cannot be shifted to plan participants. Provides $125 wellness incentive.
|Article 12: Intellectual Property and Academic Rights||Provides that the University Patent, Invention and Copyright Policy is incorporated into the agreement||Adds the University Research Misconduct Policy to the Agreement, ensuring that Postdocs can work with Union Reps and in other ways avail themselves of union representation in the case of research misconduct. The grievance procedure is available for cases of discipline or dismissal due to a misapplication of the policy|
|Article 16: Non-discrimination and Harassment||Procedures are established for filing complaints against instances of discrimination, harassment, or retaliation; provides for lactation accommodations and bathroom equity||Adds Equity Survey for Postdocs jointly administered by the Union and the University|
|Article 17: Orientation||Union orientation provided to new employees once per month at welcome day (or within 90 days of the employees’ start date)||Union information will also be presented to new employees who participate in self-paced online orientation|
|Article 19: Professional Development and Career Counseling||Paid work time may be allocated to professional development; provides for professional development and career counseling programs; and allows the University to cover expenses for professional development activities||Adds two meetings per year between the Union and the University to discuss issues related to professional development|
|Article 24: Time Off and Leave||Provides bereavement, vacation, sick time, personal holiday, faith/conscience time off, as well as Paid Family Medical Leave including supplemental benefits.||
Adds miscarriage or stillbirth of a child for recognized reasons for bereavement.
Adds paid time off for civil duty (e.g. jury duty, serving as trial witnesses.
Adds time off and/or reasonable safety accommodations for victims of domestic violence, sexual assault or stalking. Postdocs can choose what type of time off to use. The parties will promote employee knowledge of this right.
|Article 25: Titles and Classifications||Definition of Postdoctoral Scholar, Postdoctoral Scholar – Fellow, and Interim Postdoctoral Scholar; total Postdoc eligibility limited to 5 years||Minor clean up changes only.|
|Article 27: Transportation / MOU – Transportation||All Postdocs have a fully subsidized UPASS; Postdocs have a permanent position on the University Transportation Committee; Union may bargain the impacts of changes to parking policy; Postdocs have access to the same parking services as full-time staff||Continues fully subsidized UPASS for all Postdocs; adds that Postdocs have access to the Husky Night Walk and UW Night Ride programs; improves access to on-campus shower facilities to facilitate bike commutes|
|Article 32: Compensation||Minimum compensation tied to yearly NIH salary scale, plus experience-based increases; pay above these minimums allowed||Minimum compensation for Scholars and Fellows will increase above the projected salary threshold set by the Washington Minimum Wage Act: $65,508 in 2023 and $68,456 in 2024; minimum increases on January 1st, 2024 for Scholars and Fellows; 2% across the board increases upon reappointment/anniversary dates in 2024 for those who don’t receive an increase to the minimum; new minimums for Paid Direct Postdocs: $53,760 in 2023 and $56,484 for new appointments/reappointments after July 2024; Paid Directs may no longer receive supplements from UW sources, so must achieve these minimums from non-UW sources; increases may still be provided above rates set in this Article. Postdocs receiving a salary adjustment equal to or greater than the 4.5% range adjustment are not eligible for another increase in the same calendar year, but Postdocs receiving a salary increase of less than 4.5% will receive an increase equivalent to the difference upon reappointment.|
|Article 34: Duration||Current contract expired 1/31/23.||Two year duration (expires 1/31/2025) and bargaining commences 10/16/24. This enables us to be in bargaining before next L&I salary threshold adjustment.|
|MOU – Empowering Prevention & Inclusive Communities (EPIC)||EPIC training is available to Postdocs, and University provides up to three 0.2 FTE EPIC trainer appointments||Continues EPIC program and adds that the University will encourage Postdocs to attend EPIC training|
|MOU – Immigration Status & Visas||Union and University may meet four or more times per year to discuss issues related to international Postdoc employment; the University will make an effort to process visa paperwork in a timely manner; University is responsible for travel visas and costs for international grievants who are dismissed||Adds that H-1B may be an appropriate visa classification for Postdocs; the University will strongly encourage units to request Premium Processing for H-1B work authorization applications; and the University will cover the internal visa request fees and amendment fees for J-1 visas and reimburse the J-1 SEVIS I-901 fee and OPT I-765 filing fee for Postdocs it sponsors.|
|MOU – Postdoctoral Scholar Paid Direct||University provides a healthcare stipend of $500 per month to paid-direct Postdocs to defray costs of health insurance||Effective 90 days after ratification, healthcare stipend ($500 / month) is available to all Paid Direct Postdocs who earn less than $65,508 from their funding source. This change greatly expands how many Paid-Direct Postdocs are eligible for this stipend.|
|MOU – Time Reporting||Postdocs are overtime-exempt professional appointees; if overtime eligibility changes due to state or federal regulations, overtime policies may be bargained over||Removed from Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA)|
|MOU – Overtime||Full-time Postdocs do not receive overtime compensation||Postdocs are overtime exempt, but if they become Overtime Eligible, this MOU provides rules for calculating and reporting overtime at 1.5 times the straight time hourly rate. Allows for compensatory time. Pre-approval of overtime not prohibited. Hours reporting trainings will be made available to supervisors and overtime eligible Postdocs.|
|New Article: Military Leave||Military leave available through UW policy and state and federal law||Codifies and clarifies existing military leave policy|
|New Article: Reasonable Accommodations||Job-related furniture and equipment will be provided as reasonable accommodations for Postdocs with a disability||Codifies existing University policy on accommodations; establishes a process for an employee to request accommodations with the option to be accompanied by a Union representative; provides for disability leave as a combination of sick time, vacation time, personal holiday, and/or unpaid time off; establishes policies around disability separation, including providing written notice to the Postdoc and the Union and affirming that disability separation is not a corrective action; provides pregnancy accommodations|
Unfair Labor Practice Charge
Overtime Exempt memos
Below you’ll find the full text of all bargaining proposals passed during negotiations. This page will be updated within 24 hours of each bargaining session. Please visit this page for summaries of each bargaining session.
Article 32: Wages (Compensation)
- 2022-11-07 12:30pm Union proposal
- 2022-12-07 1:00pm Union proposal
- 2022-12-19 10:15am Union proposal
- 2023-01-11 12pm Union package proposal
- 2023-01-12 3pm Union package proposal
- 2023-01-20 2:45pm Union package proposal
- 2023-02-10 12pm Union package proposal
- 2023-04-21 Union package proposal
- 2023-05-17 1pm Union package proposal
- 2023-05-24 11:30am Union package proposal
- 2023-06-06 12pm Union package proposal
- 2023-06-12 2:30pm Union package proposal
- 2023-06-14 12:30pm Union package proposal
- 2023-06-14 5pm Union package proposal
- 2023-06-14 6:30pm Union package proposal
Article 32: Wages (Compensation)
- 2022-11-21 12:30pm UW proposal
- 2022-12-16 2:40pm UW proposal
- 2022-12-22 UW proposal
- 2023-01-09 2:50pm UW proposal
- 2023-02-10 10am UW package proposal
- 2023-05-17 2:40pm UW package proposal
- 2023-05-24 2pm UW package proposal
- 2023-06-06 530pm UW package proposal
- 2023-06-06 10:15pm UW package proposal
- 2023-06-12 11:20am UW package proposal
- 2023-06-14 11:15am UW package proposal
- 2023-06-14 4pm UW package proposal
- 2023-06-06 7:45pm UW package proposal
MOU – Exceptions to Full Time Appointment
- 2023-06-02 2:15pm UW proposed to withdraw
MOU – Postdoctoral Scholars and WMWA Overtime Eligibility and Exemption
New Article: Leave Related to Domestic Violence, Sexual Assault, and Stalking
New Article: Military Leave