URGENT UPDATE 6/24/22: This morning the Supreme Court officially voted to overturn Roe v. Wade. Please join an emergency rally tonight at 5pm at the Federal Building in Downtown Seattle (915 2nd Avenue). More info in today’s membership email.
On May 2, 2022, a Supreme Court draft opinion that would overturn Roe v. Wade was leaked. UAW 4121 members responded immediately, joining with thousands of others in Seattle for a powerful rally and march on May 3 in defense of reproductive rights. While the leaked opinion is not yet finalized, it poses a far-reaching attack on abortion rights for people of all genders in the US — the latest in a wave of attacks on reproductive rights and the rights of trans and queer youth across the country. In particular, this would disproportionately impact abortion access for those who are Black, Indigenous, People of Color, low-income, or live in states with trigger bans.
As part of the labor movement, we can and should play an active role in organizing to defend and expand reproductive rights. Building the kind of power we need to win reproductive justice will require joining with our broader communities to take mass collective action, and there will be a number of ways you can participate in the coming weeks.
- Plan to join the Day of Decision action – 5pm at the Federal Building in downtown Seattle (915 2nd Ave). (Note: If the decision is issued after 12pm, the rally will be the following day at 5pm.)
- Join the Rapid Mobilization Network
- Join the Solidarity & Mobilization Workgroup to help organize on an ongoing basis. Members are developing turnout strategies and working with others in our community to plan the Day of Decision rally, develop policy demands, and more — additional help is always welcome! Email solidarity(at)uaw4121.org for more info and to join.
- Donate to the Northwest Abortion Access Fund and Surge Reproductive Justice
- Rallies/walkouts on May 3, May 13, and May 14
- UAW 4121 Resolution on Reproductive Justice – passed unanimously at the 5/12/22 membership meeting
- UAW 4121 Resolution for the 38th UAW Constitutional Convention – passed at the 6/9/22 membership meeting
Information & Resources
- Protest Safety Resources
- M+A Hotline: a confidential, private and secure phone and text hotline for people in need of support for self-managed miscarriage or abortion.
- ReproLegal Helpline: a free, confidential source for legal advice and information on self-managed abortion. Visit ReproLegalHelpline.org or call 844-868-2812.
- INeedAnA.com: Find a clinic – to find vetted, up to date, and personalized info on how to get an abortion; no search or user data saved.
- Abortion Care Network: A group dedicated to independent community providers who provide the majority of abortion care in the US.
- Advocacy Opportunities: Online repository of ways to access financial support for seeking abortions as well as ways to get involved to protect reproductive rights in the US.
- National Network of Abortion Funds
- Northwest Abortion Access Fund: NWAAF serves the states of Washington, Oregon, Alaska, and Idaho, the latter of which is one of the 13 states with a so-called “trigger law” under which a state-wide abortion ban would go into effect immediately if Roe v. Wade is overturned.
- National Mobilization for Reproductive Justice campaign
- Other resources for self-managed abortion, which is common, safe and effective:
This page will be updated as actions come together – check back regularly, or join the listserv <solidarity(at)uaw4121.org> to stay in touch!