After a Supreme Court draft opinion that would overturn Roe v. Wade was leaked in early May 2022, UAW 4121 members responded immediately, joining with thousands of others in Seattle for rallies, establishing the Solidarity and Mobilization Workgroup, joining coalition organizing work, and more. On June 24 when the ruling was finalized, 4121 members turned out alongside thousands of others in Seattle — and across the country — for a massive rally demanding reproductive justice.
The repeal of Roe poses a far-reaching attack on abortion rights for people of all genders in the US — the latest in a wave of attacks on reproductive rights and the rights of trans and queer youth across the country. In particular, this disproportionately impacts abortion access for those who are Black, Indigenous, People of Color, low-income, or live in states with trigger bans.
As part of the labor movement, we can and should play an active role in organizing to defend and expand reproductive rights. Building the kind of power we need to win reproductive justice will require joining with our broader communities to take mass collective action, and there will be a number of ways you can participate in the coming weeks.
- Join the Solidarity & Mobilization Workgroup to help organize on an ongoing basis. Members are developing turnout strategies and working with others in our community to build power and coalition, develop policy demands, and more — additional help is always welcome! Email solidarity(at)uaw4121.org for more info and to join.
- Join the Rapid Mobilization Network
- Donate to the Northwest Abortion Access Fund and Surge Reproductive Justice
- Endorsed and turned out support to win Abortion Sanctuary City legislation in Seattle. We also circulated a petition in support of the legislation.
- Day of Decision rally: Alongside others in the Puget Sound Mobilization for Reproductive Justice Coalition, UAW 4121 members helped organize and turn out for a massive rally on 6/24/22 after the Supreme Court decision to overturn Roe v. Wade was released.
- Rallies/walkouts on May 3, May 13, and May 14
- UAW 4121 Resolution on Reproductive Justice – passed unanimously at the 5/12/22 membership meeting
- UAW 4121 Resolution for the 38th UAW Constitutional Convention – passed at the 6/9/22 membership meeting
Information & Resources
- Protest Safety Resources
- M+A Hotline: a confidential, private and secure phone and text hotline for people in need of support for self-managed miscarriage or abortion.
- ReproLegal Helpline: a free, confidential source for legal advice and information on self-managed abortion. Visit ReproLegalHelpline.org or call 844-868-2812.
- INeedAnA.com: Find a clinic – to find vetted, up to date, and personalized info on how to get an abortion; no search or user data saved.
- Abortion Care Network: A group dedicated to independent community providers who provide the majority of abortion care in the US.
- Advocacy Opportunities: Online repository of ways to access financial support for seeking abortions as well as ways to get involved to protect reproductive rights in the US.
- National Network of Abortion Funds
- Northwest Abortion Access Fund: NWAAF serves the states of Washington, Oregon, Alaska, and Idaho, the latter of which is one of the 13 states with a so-called “trigger law” under which a state-wide abortion ban would go into effect immediately if Roe v. Wade is overturned.
- National Mobilization for Reproductive Justice campaign
- Other resources for self-managed abortion, which is common, safe and effective:
This page will be updated as actions come together – check back regularly, or join the listserv <solidarity(at)uaw4121.org> to stay in touch!