UAW Local 4121 is the union representing 8,000 academic workers (Academic Student Employees, Postdocs, and Research Scientists & Engineers A-4) at all three campuses of the University of Washington We are seeking to hire 3 part or full-time (between 20 hours – 40 hours per week) Field Organizing positions dedicated to membership outreach, engagement, and office administration. These positions will support the ongoing work of the Local to build our collective power and advocate for fair working conditions, a stronger and more accessible higher education system, and social justice in our community and beyond.
Job responsibilities could include:
- Developing and implementing organizing strategies to increase membership involvement
- Working directly with other union members, including by mentoring stewards, organizers, and other active members on organizing campaigns and projects
- Supporting work groups and committees with their week-to-week work as well as developing organizing strategies
- Holding meetings with members online, as well as in person at work locations across the UW Campuses and across Seattle, depending on specific needs of the situation
- Local Union office management, including bookkeeping and compliance with the international union bylaws
- Other tasks as assigned by Local Union leadership
A qualified candidate will be able to demonstrate:
- Strong familiarity with workers represented by UAW Local 4121
- Strong motivation to protect and expand the rights of academic employees at UW
- Prior experience with workplace and/or community organizing for workers’ rights and social justice.
- A commitment to intersectional economic, racial and social justice, and solidarity with working people across diverse workplaces and sectors
- The ability to communicate and work with people across diverse disciplines, linguistic backgrounds, workplaces, and identities at UW, as well as the ability to foster empowering and equitable group dynamics.
- Strong attention to detail, time management skills, and ability to work both independently and as part of a collaborative group.
- Proficiency in Microsoft and Google-based programs, especially Excel and Sheets
- The ability to commit to employment for at least through the end of the 2023-2024 academic year, with the possibility of continued employment.
Requirements, Pay, and Benefits
Pay and benefits for Field Organizing Staff, as set forth in the Local Union Bylaws (Article 20), are commensurate with the pay and benefits received by bargaining unit employees:
- Pay: Current hourly pay is the equivalent of the 2022-2023 TA/RA base salary rate of $40.72/hour.
- Time off: Employees receive 20 days of vacation per year, and 7 days sick time for a full time equivalent, pro-rated for lower % FTEs.
- Health insurance: Those currently covered by GAIP are eligible to continue that coverage with premium costs reimbursed by the Local. Otherwise comparable health insurance coverage is provided (premiums covered 100%).
- Tuition and professional development: Opportunities for professional development may be available with the agreement of the Joint Council. Those currently eligible to receive UW tuition benefits but not receiving them from UW are eligible for tuition reimbursement at the same level as a 50% FTE ASE tuition waiver.
- Transit Pass: Those not already receiving a U-PASS from UW are eligible to receive a comparable free transit pass.
- Retirement: Employees also receive a 401(k) with matching benefits.
To be considered for this position, please send via email or physical mail a cover letter, resume, and any other supporting materials to the Local Union by 5:00pm PST on 9/30/2023. Inquiries about the position may be directed to the Personnel Committee (firstname.lastname@example.org).
UAW Local 4121
2633 Eastlake Ave E, Ste 200
Seattle, WA 98102
UAW Local 4121 is an equal opportunity employer. Women, people of color, LGBTQ+ community members are strongly encouraged to apply.