We had an incredibly powerful day one of striking! Coming together in massive numbers across campus was a historic demonstration of our research community’s desire to win better working conditions for all of us!
There were four packed picket lines, a strike kickoff rally on Red Square, and community supporters such as UW workers, students, delivery drivers, and more that honored the picket lines around campus.
Check out the bevy of media coverage from today: Seattle Times, Science, KUOW, KIRO, as well as powerful statements of solidarity from our union siblings at the National Institute of Health (NIH Fellows United) & UC Postdocs & Academic Researchers (UAW Local 5810), as well as Seattle City Councilmembers Tammy Morales, Kshama Sawant, and more.
Picket logistics for tomorrow
All who signed up for a picket shift should have received an email from their picket captain with their time and location for tomorrow. If you have not received an email, just show up at one of the four picket locations for a shift tomorrow, and for the remaining day this week, please sign up for your picket shifts here.
Locations and times
Pickets will run from 5am to 5pm and there are three shifts. Please be sure to check in with your shift coordinator when you arrive (this will ensure you qualify for strike pay).
- 8am-1pm (priority shift)
Pickets will be in the following locations
- NE 45th St & Memorial Way NE (SW corner)
- 15th Ave NE & W Stevens Way NE (NE corner)
- Montlake Triangle: NE Pacific St & Montlake Blvd NE
- SLU: Mercer St (between 8th and 9th Ave N)
Items we recommend you bring to your picket shift
- Battery pack (if needed for device)
- Bluetooth speaker
- Feel free to bring entertainment: (musical instruments, lawn games)
Picket lines are open to the whole community. Family, friends are welcome and encouraged to join.
Remote Picket Session
If you are located out of state, you will be able to picket remotely. Remote shifts will run from 9am-1pm. All remote picketers need to sign up for your picket shifts. Information about shift responsibilities will be shared with remote picketers.
Strike Assistance Counselors will be available to explain the schedule of benefits, eligibility, and collect the information needed for strike assistance.
- Main Campus Station at Mary Gates Hall room 136 (UW Main campus) from 9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. on Thursday 6/8
- SLU campus Station at Building F-106 from 9:00 a.m. – 11:00 a.m. and F-107 from 11:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. on Friday 6/9
- Additional times and locations may be available over the weekend.
- People should come prepared with their UW Employee ID number (it’s on your UPASS and in Workday); which health care plan they are on (available in Workday); and their bank account information for direct deposit (including routing number).
- People will be walked through the process about how to sign up, and how to log their shifts in order to get Strike Pay
After being signed up, picketers should make sure to sign in at the start of every shift. Your Picket Captain will be able to help you with this.
Applications for additional financial support through the Hardship fund will open on 6/20.
If you have any questions about strike support, reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org
If you have questions related to picket line logistics, please email picket-coordinators@uaw4121.